the view at 65 is worth it

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Meet‘n Greet Jitters

There we were - a cohort of some 30 people, dressed business casual, our only communications tool a name tag on a string. Easy for short people, but when you’re tall like me it means a lot of bending. What a thrill to meet so many interesting people, from literally all over the country and overseas, and faculty members too. Within minutes, conversations sprang up as if we were at a family reunion waiting with anticipation to tell our stories since last we met. Wonderfully catered, a quick tour of classrooms, introductions, and whatever jitters I had accumulated over the long drive from Gabriola Island to Edmonton, soon dissipated in the anticipation of friendships to be born during our Spring Institute. Tomorrow it’s “show time” at 8:30 am, unless I count coffee and muffins at 7:30 as the real curtain’s-up at centre stage. But, I confess, I missed my afternoon NAP ( Not Actively Participating). I must not underestimate the degree to which I will be engaged in a scholarly pursuit of something as enigmatic as theory. Intimidating sometimes. Tiring for sure. One fellow cohort member said “I’m good till midnight.” Me? I’m done for the day and it’s 5:30 pm. Tbc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

accutane lawsuit