the view at 65 is worth it

Monday, July 8, 2013

A Day in the Life of....



 
Frequent visitor to the studio
You might have wondered what a person does when he decides to go back to school at age 65 in pursuit of graduate research. That was 4 years ago. I’ve completed a Master’s degree and I’m half way towards a Doctorate. I know everyone has their own routine, but sometimes it helps to see “how it’s made” from another perspective, mine. So, this is not a recipe for success. Just some encouragement for you along the way.
6:00 am, awake not by choice but by metabolism and bio-rhythms.
6:15 am, breakfast (favourite? Honey Nut Cheerios).
6:30 am, bike ride (seasonal except for the rainy season which is shorter than most people think when they hear about our rainy season in BC). 
7:00 am, at my computer which before my return to formal studies used to be 7:00 am in the studio. But, I am planning my return to drawing and painting.
7:00 am – 12:00, research and writing, mostly for my Doctorate, but I do find time for creative writing as well. Occasionally, I just have to do a drawing in the studio.
12:00 noon, lunch and quick nap.
12:30 pm, thoughts about what to do for the rest of the afternoon. Options are: continue my morning’s work, administration for the Drawing Society of Canada, keep up with my students enrolled in the Canadian Academy of Drawing, church & ministry admin., emails, blog updates, website management, etc.
3:00 pm, done for the day and time to visit with friends on the island.
6:00 pm. Dinner
6:00 pm – bedtime (10:00), Relax, Wheel of Fortune with Alice, reading.
Of course none of the above is cast in concrete. There are numerous interruptions, spontaneous chats with Alice, on-the-go decisions, Monday’s off-island to do Coffee Shop People sketches, work on my poetry, errands, and going for a nice drive “up-island,” cutting the lawn, my valuable meditation time, and the luxury of deciding to do nothing for a day. Oh yes, at least 2 Vanilla Chocolate Lattes (homemade, low-cal, honestly) per day.
Remember, it’s easier to change course when you’re moving than to change course when you’re standing still.






1 comment:

  1. Just found your writing on the Sermon of the Mount and find it utterly refreshing. I too have had a profound spiritual awakening in the form of Nicodemus (John 3) and being renewed in the wind. I'm also going back to school at the age of 67 to study more of the bible. Just wanted to stop by and thank you for your paper on the Sermon and how you stressed obedience as the main characteristic in faith and love of our Lord Jesus Christ. jlcummings1018@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

 

accutane lawsuit