the view at 65 is worth it

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Onward despite setbacks

On Thursday February 11, 2010, my oldest son had a very serious vehicle accident. He was critically wounded and rushed to hospital. My wife and I began commuting between our island home and Vancouver. It’s 25 minutes from our ferry to Nanaimo and then another 2 hours by big ferry to the mainland. Plus hours of waiting in ferry lineups. Of course my mind began racing in all directions. Life would not be the same for my son anymore, at least not for a very long time. Would it be different for me? I mean, my children come first - always. Do I cancel my graduate studies? I didn’t panic, but a father’s heart can have many directions, especially when there’s nothing to do but think. So, I packed my course textbooks and notes and immersed myself in preparing for the Spring Institute. Round trip in a day meant about 4 hours of study. Onward despite setbacks. Our 40 year old son became our “miracle baby,” and just over a week later, he began walking again. A sense of peace returned into our lives on our island enclave. Mt. Arrowsmith still looks inviting. There is much to do, but I press on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

accutane lawsuit